100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Life of Pi

I've had math on the brain lately.

I thought I had made my peace with the subject in high school and expected that my ability to calculate percentages and my firm grasp of BEDMAS would be all I needed going forward. However, the career I thought would keep me as far away from the quadratic equation as humanly possibly has instead led me straight back to the world of integers and infinites. It is a strange turn of events, but one that I've decided to embrace.

Mathematics is an amazing field because, despite its seemly cold exterior, to those who understand the logic of it, math has a beauty that I don't think I will ever be able to truly appreciate. For me, the best elements of math are the symbols: infinity, unnamed dimensions, unknowns - themes any good literary student can get behind! Naturally, my new professional preoccupation with numbers had spilled over into my creative projects.

My lastest stamp: Pi


I'm still experimenting with the right technique for inking and pressing the stamp, but overall I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out. I was worried that the smooth surface would result in a boring, flat image, but my technique of hand brushing on the ink resulted in a fabulous, gritty imprint. Even better, I've been jotting down some sugary phrases that I think will make this card a great valentine for math geeks everywhere.

But more on that later...



No comments:

Post a Comment