100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Number 45... Done!

Technically Number 45 requires that I submit a short story to a 'contest', but when I wrote the entry I actually had a very specific literary journal in mind. Not a contest exactly, but certainly a good test of my literary merits.

Submitting a story that's already written might not seem to be a big task, but I've actually spent quite a bit of time over the last few weeks editing, soliciting feedback from trusted friends (thanks guys!), and fussing over the title. I don't know why it's so hard sometimes to simply print out a piece of writing, put it into an envelop, and slip it in a mail box, but I always seem to procrastinate when I get to this point. Well, no more.

Here's just a little section of the story. It may remain an unpublished labour of love, but at least it's been sent out into the world in some form.

Grief (excerpt)

The woman jumped at her sister’s touch, turning abruptly to face her before looking back at me with deeper confusion. Jeff was now beside me and, although he didn’t say anything, his presence silently confirmed that she had been mistaken, that I was not Karen.

At this moment, a loss – tragic and sudden – repeated itself in a split-second between us. The subsequent grief, the knowledge that Karen, whoever she had been, was gone, still gone, welled up in her eyes.

“I... I’m so sorry... I thought... I though... you were someone else”

No comments:

Post a Comment