100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Full Days

Lately, I've been feeling that there simply isn't enough time in each day to work on all of the things I'm trying to do. Between my job, the gym, keeping the apartment in a somewhat respectable state of cleanliness (don't even get me started on when we're going to finally get the chance to re-paint and decorate it!), and assorted social functions, the amount of time I have left for working on art projects has been getting slimmer and slimmer. This isn't meant to be a complaint because I love having lots of things on the go, but it does get frustrating when I can't move forward with creative ideas or get through more than five pages of an amazing book without seriously compromising the amount of sleep I need to remain pleasant and functional.

I think part of the reason my time is feeling a little condensed is that I've been daydreaming up all sorts of potential mixed media projects in which I could incorporate my prints. Before I started this particular project, I was dabbling in all sorts of other things - bookbinding, concrete poetry (any b.p. Nichol fans in the house?!), my beloved pen and ink - and inevitably some of my older ideas have started resurfacing. Linoblock print meets concrete poem! Huge potential. Stamped print plus hand drawn ink illustration. Could be amazing. I can easily think of a dozen projects I would like to try... if only I could magically have enough time (and, if I'm going to dream about ideal situations, a huge studio space) to actually make these things. The cost of the materials isn't even that high, it's just the time it takes to assemble them.

Hopefully, I'll have a few opportunities to get some serious work done in the next few weeks. Sadly, I just found out that I didn't make it into City of Craft. This wasn't totally unexpected as I'm such a new participant in the craft scene and I know it's extremely competitive to get a spot. I'm definitely disappointed about not being able to participate as a vendor (although, I'll be there with bells on as a buyer come December). Luckily, my alternative fall plan involves registering for Open Studio's printmaking workshops, so I've got a whole new project/learning experience to work towards.

All this fussing aside, and with a brief pause to acknowledge that I am responsible for more than a few wasted hours myself (Mad Men and Glee episodes anyone?), I'm pretty excited about some of the random new ideas I've been jotting down in my trusty pink notebook. Also on the horizon... Christmas presents! (And, no, it's not too early to start!)

No comments:

Post a Comment