100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Experiments Are Expensive...

...and so are mistakes. Not as expensive as having to buy a new digital camera, of course, but definitely not cheap.

This was the primary lesson for this evening's printing session involving my new art deco stamp and my decidedly older Chrysler building stamp. I was sure that the two stamps would work well together, but it just wasn't meant to be.

The image and text ended up looking awkward no matter how many variations I tried, and even attempts to create a workable combination with gradients and shadows went down in flames. Long story short, I destroyed A LOT of cards (and not just the front, but every possible card surface of most of the nice white and coffee cards I had left).


Thankfully, I did create a few nearly successful cards using just the art deco stamp.

I broke out my trusty red ink in order to jazz up a simple white card.


Unfortunately, on closer inspection I realized that I have some alignment problems with the art deco stamp and they really stand out when I'm trying to create a stark, linear image on the cards.

I also tested the stamp on one of my new pieces of cardstock.


This lovely aqua card is part of a multi-coloured box set of cards that I discovered at Michael's on the weekend. I wasn't sure about the investment at first, but now I can't wait to start a serious printing session with these beauties.


I just hope that I don't burn through this set as quickly as I did my other card stock tonight.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help! My comments are being spammed! I guess I'm going to have to start approving these things before they go live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the art deco cards, especially the black and red. I'm also very excited about all of these new colour possibilities! As much as I love how classically beautiful the other cards are, I am also a huge fan of colour. Glad to see you made it to Michaels on time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, T.J.! Yes, I managed to sneak into Michael's at around 5:53 p.m. on Sunday and had just enough time to find the cards before they started closing shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The coloured card are gorgeous! The picture of them is a great image in itself.

    ReplyDelete