100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

MacGyver Would Be Proud

I experimented with a few more prints tonight, modifying my technique a little to try and improve the face image I carved on the weekend. I added water to the ink so that it would roll on thinner and transfer the image in a bit more detail. I also put masking tape, plastic wrap, and a cookie sheet to good use as a make-shift ink rolling surface. I really need to get a glass plate.

I've included a few pictures below of my super high-tech printing process (featuring the cookie sheet contraption and my feet as the press). Obviously, the prints would work a little better on a real press, but at least the stand-on-the-block technique feels more.... organic?



In the end, I did get some better prints out of the process. I saw little glimmers of what I'd hoped to achieve when I started carving the image. My goal for my next print is to properly embrace the traditional lino cutting technique and carve an image using thick, solid lines!




Also, as a side note, I'm going to make a conscious effort to reduce the number of exclamation points in my blog titles. Based on my list of February posts, my use of this symbol is clearly getting out of hand.

2 comments:

  1. Speaking of a real press...it looks like it may be in March! Still firming up the date. But soon, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tanya! And, sorry, I didn't mean my post to sound like a prompt. I just had a this funny moment where I was standing and bouncing on the block to make a print and I thought... 'well, I guess this is how art is made sometimes...'

    I can't wait to try the real thing though!

    ReplyDelete