100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Slow and Steady

I had big plans this weekend for getting my etsy shop up and running, but I got a bit sidetracked printing on my new, colour cards. Unfortunately, instead of strengthening my inventory, I learned a painful lesson about not looking closely enough at my card stock before making a purchase.

The new cards have a rougher finish than the white and tan cards I ordered a few weeks ago and they're also made from thinner paper. When I tried to print my more detailed stamps on them (the trumpet, the french horn) the rough surface didn't pick up all the detail and the wetness of the ink made the front of the cards curl slightly. The end result was a lot of work and very few polished cards.

Luckily, one red card did turn out nicely.


At this point, my favourite cards are still the crisp white ones that really show the tiny details of the stamps. My most consistent prints have been the french horn and the power line stamps, so they'll likely be the first ones up in the shop.



I've also been working on writing a lot of copy for the shop, which has been an interesting experience. I'm trying to strike the right balance between establishing a little narrative and personality in the descriptions without making them sound too silly. I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer to see if my pitches are effective! Until then, I'll be fine tuning the packaging and trying to get some better pictures of the cards I've made so far. I still haven't gotten the lighting/angle/flash dynamic quite right.

No comments:

Post a Comment