100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Hello, Global Village

Media, by altering the environment, evoke in us unique ratios of sense perceptions. The extension of any one sense alters the way we think and act - the way we perceive the world.

When
these
ratios
change,
men
[and, presumably, women] change.

'The Medium is the Massage' - Marshall McLuhan and Quentin Fiore


I read a lot of McLuhan for one of my upper year undergraduate courses and I often look at his books on my self and think I should read through that again... (hence number 51 on my list). Between starting this blog, becoming a member of facebook, and the changes I'm experiencing daily working in the publishing industry, I feel very drawn to McLuhan's aphoristic observations of media. Reading through some of his work tonight reminded of the great, perplexing discussions we used to have in class and would have normally inspired me to write at great length about art, technology, information, etc.

However, I also had a long day at work and got my H1N1 shot (I know, so 2009!), so I'm tired and my arm is aching. Perhaps I'll pick up this media theme in a later post, but for now I'm happy to head off to bed with a brain full of media and another goal scratched off of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment