100 THINGS
Click here to see my full list of goals for 2010

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Travel Notes

After so many days of regular posts, I'm sad that I've let a week go by without writing something here. The reason is simply that I've been tired.

Most of the time my creative projects are the perfect antidote to a long day at work. Drawing, carving, writing... they all take my mind far away from my projects and make me feel as if I'm accomplishing something productive. However, sometimes my job uses up a bit too much of my creative energy and I wind up propped up on a pillow watching crime procedurals and pondering exactly how lame it would be to go to bed before 9:00 p.m. (Which, I've discovered, only messes up your sleep cycle and makes you feel worse.)

I feel very fortunate that I like my job, but lately I've had trouble finding my second creative wind in the evenings. Not the end of the world, but certainly a barrier to finding interesting things to post about.

Anyways, all this dramatic preamble just to state that I am still working away at my goals list in quiet, constructive ways. This weekend I started Number 85. Reread Europe poems.

I've already posted once about my Europe trip and the drawings I did while backpacking. Over the course of those five and a half months I also did a ton of writing. Most of it is descriptive (journal entries, experiences with fellow travelers) and a lot of it is bad (my first 'novel'), but I've always felt that there are probably a few poetic gems lost in the filthy pages of my notebooks. So I've starting working my way through them in search of little lines or passages that might be salvaged for new projects. It's painstaking, hilarious, and, at the very least, an amazing reminder of a few long-forgotten experiences.

I'll be sure to post anything good (or laughably bad) that I find. If I don't fall asleep watching The Mentalist, that is...




No comments:

Post a Comment